Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Best Toast EVER!

I was right in the middle of one of those really cool dreams; one of those dreams where it seems nothing can go wrong...and then, my alarm went off signifying that it was time to get up and go to work.  But that's ok...I knew it was for a good reason.

On my morning commute, I came to a realization.  It appears that the county of San Bernardino has somehow secretly installed a sensor in my truck whose sole purpose is to trigger stoplights to turn red as I approach; clearly in an attempt to make my drive to work as painful as possible.  But that's ok, I knew it was for a good reason.

Every decision I made at work that day reminded me of just how smart Murphy was when he wrote his law.  You see, no matter what I did, it seemed that I was wrong.  But that's ok, it was for a good reason.

On my way home, I stopped at one of those warehouse stores to buy 3 items in bulk.  When I went to pay, there were only 2 lanes open, each with a minimum of 12 people, and all pushing at least 3 carts through the checkout.  So I waited in line.  But that's ok, it was for a good reason.

At the end of my 12 hour work day, I walked through the door to see my wife and kids sitting there talking and laughing.  I thought to myself contentedly, "THIS is what I work for."  With that inspiration, I headed to the kitchen to make dinner.  The wife had a craving for omelettes, the girl wanted scrambled eggs, because that is HER preference, and the boy's request? A ham and cheese omelette...after all, he IS the carnivore.  At this point, I decided to go above and beyond.  I got out some chicken and marinated it with a special sauce of my own invention.  In the meantime, my wife decides that we will also need some carbs with our evening "breakfast," so she puts some bread in the toaster.  We all sit down to dinner. I look at my family and reflect on how lucky I am to have such a gracious family that appreciates the sacrifices that I make for them.  It's at this moment that my daughter grabs a piece of toast off her plate and asks, "Who made the toast?"  I reply, "Your mother did."  She then exclaims, "Wow, Mom!  This is the best toast ever!"  And I think to myself,  "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!"

I guess if you are only doing something to be recognized, then it probably didn't come from your heart after all.  SO...I'll just be happy to know that it was all for a good reason.

Galatians 1:10~ For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God?  Or am I striving to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment