Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Hinder or A Witness?

On "To Every Man an Answer" (a local call-in radio show), I consistently hear people call in and ask, "Is it ok for Christians to have tattoos?"  Often quoting Leviticus 19:28 which states: "You shall  not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord."  The pastors' responses are the same each time.  First they point out that the verse says, "Do not make them for the dead."  Secondly they point out that we are no longer under the law.  Lastly they remind the listener that you can use anything as an opportunity to minister and witness.  They do usually throw in a warning that one needs to be sure it is what they want, because when it is done, it is virtually impossible to UN-do.

I, admittedly, have tattoos on my body.  I never have had any real "hang-ups" about it...other than I am about 15 years past having the body to show them off! :)  I once had a woman in my Bible study who learned that I had tattoos and couldn't understand how I was "ok" with it.  Needless to say, this topic of conversation took over the Bible study that morning.

When I got my first one, there were no spiritual thoughts whatsoever.   However, when I got the last one, I had finally submitted and given myself over to Jesus, realizing that I was saved by grace even though I had spent the majority of my life being a screw-up.  When I look at them, I think how ironic it is that the one that came with no spiritual thoughts whatsoever was that of a skull and crossbones.  And yet, my most recent tattoo is that of a cross made up of two spikes with a Bible verse (Ephesians 2:8) beneath it.  It reminds me that it was me who nailed Jesus to the cross with my sins, but because of grace (undeserved forgiveness) he forgives me of all my mistakes.  And trust me, tattoos are by far the least!

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the free gift of God.

1 comment:

  1. I want a tatoo. Wonder if you might get me one for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete