Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Super-Christian!

Have you ever made a mistake? Have you ever made a mistake and been judged for it?  Were you a parent that made a mistake and got judged by your kids for it?  Have you ever had authority over someone in the workforce and made a mistake that you were later judged for?  If I keep digging, I'm sure I will eventually find a point in time that you weren't perfect and you were judged for it. 

It's obvious to most that the more elevated one becomes in status, the harsher their judgement.  The same (and more so) goes for Christians.  In the news this morning was a report about a sports celebrity getting arrested for a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) and the entire focus of the update was whether or not he would be able to play this weekend.  It wasn't so long ago that a similar news report aired of a Christian celebrity involved in the same scenario (minus the arrest) and yet the entire focus of THAT particular broadcast was on the hypocrisy of Christians.

Please don't misunderstand me, I do believe a Christian is expected to adhere to a higher moral code in order to be an example of the salvation provided for us, but sometimes I see Christians (including myself) trying to be "Super Christians" and act like we never make mistakes.  After recommitting my life as a Christian, I used to find myself giving incomplete or "doctored" testimonies so others around me (Christians and non-Christians alike) would think that I was a prime example of what a Christian should be.  People would come to me with spiritual questions and I would have an answer...sometimes Biblically-based, but much to my embarrassment now, often only my best educated guess.  It took me a lot of years to come to the realization that it's ok to say, "I don't know" or "I'll go look it up and get back to you."  It also took me a long time to realize that by openly admitting my mistakes it gave me opportunities to testify on the great things God does for a "wretch" like me.  Don't be fooled...I still get judged and so will you.  If you're going to openly confess you are a "Jesus Freak," then the judgement of this world will probably be a little more harsh.  The good news is...you are not of this world!

So, my fellow superheroes, don't be afraid to take the "S" off your chest and get on your knees, bow your heads, and use your true superpower.  The one who judges our mistakes is the same one who forgives them.

Matthew 10:19-20~ But when they hand you over, do not worry about how or what you are to say; for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say.  For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. 

1 comment:

  1. I've said it before & I'll say it a million times.
    2 Cor 12:9

    ReplyDelete