Monday, September 13, 2010

The Innocence of a Child

I really do love the innocence of a child.  I have a prosthetic leg which I have no "hang-ups" about, it doesn't embarrass me, and in most cases, I don't feel self-conscience about it.  So, I wear shorts about 90% of the year and children, without any hesitation, walk right up to me, knock on my leg, and say, "What's this?"  I usually, with a little bit of humor, tell them, "Let's just say, when your parents tell you to look both ways before crossing the street, you better listen!"  And for the most part, they smile back at me and reply, "Ok."  Simple as that!

When I look back at these times, I often find myself wishing that I had the courage to be so bold.  But, as we all know, adults are a different breed altogether.  In fact, I've had people literally go years before they feel comfortable enough to ask me about it.  And when they finally do, their statement usually starts like this..." I've always wanted to ask you about that, but..."  Then, they usually make some sort of cringing face when they ask...like it actually hurts.  And in some cases, they have had others ask for them. So, it really makes me appreciate the innocence of a child and just how easily curiosity will lead them to want to learn.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule.  For instance, when your innocent daughter's curiosity gets the best of her and she decides to walk up to a woman in an IHOP and say, "What's that thing on your face?"  That's when you find out that the innocence of YOUR OWN child comes with a price.

Matthew 18:4 Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom likes to share a story. I was about 3 1/2 years old and the pastor at church Quoted Mathew 19:14. When he forcefully called out "Let the little children come unto me" I hopped of my Mom's lap and ran up the isle to the man. He was a bit surprised but picked me up and finished the sermon while he held me. I wonder when I lost that innocents. Was it morned. It seems all I have left is hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elissa, that is an adorable story. Randy...so true!

    ReplyDelete