Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Dirty Dishes

I walked into the kitchen, turned on the light, and discovered that it had happened once again.  During the night, my very fertile, dirty dishes had found a way to reproduce; completely filling up the sink and covering my counter.  The forks, like rabbits, are particularly out of control.  I've not been able to figure out exactly how it is that I do the dishes at night and yet, am never caught up.  I used to think there was some strange black hole that the dishes secretly entered through, but I've decided to assign the black hole theory specifically to the never ending supply of dirty laundry that accumulates hourly.  Moving on...as I prepare to conquer the never ending supply of dirty dishes again, I think to myself what life lesson comes with this?

Allow me to flash back a little and explain a thought pattern I developed a long time ago while sitting at Christmas dinner with my family.   I am able to look at food or something related to food and glean a life lesson, thought-provoking truth, or spiritual analogy from it. For instance, life, like food, tastes great when it's done right, but when overcooked, it loses its flavor.  Another example?   We often approach life in a similar way to how we approach vegetables and healthier foods, we know we're better off when we eat what is good for us, but we're willing to sacrifice our health for temporary satisfactions.  So what life mystery was uncovered through my ongoing battle with the dirty dishes?  Simply put, dirty dishes multiply because I choose to make them dirty again.  They are a reminder that when I try to fix something myself, it's never completely resolved.  However, it also makes me happy to think how perfect God is...He is the only One that is capable of cleaning something or someone in such a way that it never has to be cleaned again.

Acts 10:15~ Again a voice came to him a second time, "What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

No comments:

Post a Comment