Thursday, October 7, 2010

Look Inside!

I knew a girl once when I was a kid that used to sit on my chest, pin my hands under her, and slap my face until I'd cry.  Needless to say, I used to think she was so mean.  This same girl, in the backslidden part of her life, did just about every horrendous thing imaginable that might define a "bad teenager"....and I mean EVERYTHING!  And so, people simply decided that she was just a bad person.  As an adult, she was accused of a crime and arrested.  I clearly remember just about everyone (including her family) trying to figure out why she did it even though she claimed that all the accusations weren't true.  In recent years, this same girl had an unfathomable situation take place that literally tore her family apart.  And predictably, everyone again turned their back on her and her family because she didn't follow their advice and just move on with her life.  Sadly, I've watched this girl get judged more harshly for any "incorrect decision" than any other person I know.

Now the other side of the coin:  the very same girl that made me cry, went out and threatened two boys within inches of their life that if they were to ever bother me or hurt my feelings again, it would be the last thing they would remember doing.  You see, in her heart, she was a protector and a bodyguard and nothing was going to hurt me...except her of course! 

As for the backslidden years?  I often hear people say that they are in too deep, they've done too much wrong, or it's too late, and they can't "come back."  Well, this girl has proven that it is possible to overcome any past lifestyle or mistake and become an example that anyone is "save-able."  You see, in her heart, she is a survivor and the epitome of strength. 

The accusations that were made against her were dropped, because they simply weren't true.  This began a drastic turnaround in her life that started her down a road of doing God's will.  In fact, she is the only person in my own backslidden years that relentlessly stayed on me; asking me when I was going to clean up my life and get right with the Lord.  And yes, I fought her on it, tooth and nail.  It was her persistence that inspired me to recommit my life to the Lord.  You see in her heart, she knows what's right and wrong and does what it takes to get it done.

Finally, the family that was torn apart?  Well, she could've done what the world and everyone around her told her was acceptable and just left; avoiding all the harsh judgment and criticism the ignorant and selfish still give her to this day.  Instead, she took the tougher road and decided that her family was worth fighting for, and that, through God's strength, her family would be restored.  To this day, God holds that family in His hand as a solid unit.  You see, in her heart, she is faithful, not to the world and its opinion, but to God and His will.  To this day, she still gets a harsher judgment put upon her; mostly for her past, sometimes for the present and other times just because of her personality.  But I don't believe that you could find a better heart in very many people alive today, because who she is inside is beautiful and I can see that and I know God can see it too.  Knowing someone on the outside is not really knowing them at all.  I'm glad I know this woman.

1 Samuel 16:7~ But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

1 comment:

  1. To God be the Glory!! I'll bet that girl values your friendship more than life itself.

    ReplyDelete